The Masonic Fraternity
Who We Are
The Masonic fraternity is an organization comprised of men who have pledged themselves to the values of brotherly love, charity and truth. Associated with Freemasonry are many fraternal orders for men, women and children, including the Freemasons, the Scottish Rite, the York Rite, the Tall Cedars, the Shrine, the International Order of Eastern Star, the Order of DeMolay, the International Order of Rainbow for Girls and the International Order of Job's Daughters, to name a few. Freemasonry, the oldest, largest and most widely known fraternity in the world, exists "to make good men better" through the study of truth, the gift of charity and the discipline of service to others. While the Freemasons limit their membership to only men, the International Order of the Eastern Star is open to men and women who wish to share in Masonic life together. Young men who participate in DeMolay and young women who participate in Rainbow and Job's Daughters learn the importance of character development, community service and leadership.
What We Support
The Masonic fraternity in Pennsylvania supports five charities established by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania:
• The Masonic Temple/Library & Museum of Pennsylvania - Dedicated in the fall of 1873, the magnificent Temple is recognized by Masons from around the world as an architectural wonder and a symbol of the ideas of brotherhood, charity, morality and education. It is a beacon for a "most honorable Fraternity" and a National Historic Landmark. Located within the Masonic Temple, the Library and Museum provides a treasure trove of rich Masonic heritage through its vast collection of books, documents, manuscripts, artifacts and photographic works.
• The Masonic Villages - More than 2,700 residents enjoy comfort, companionship, dignity, security and vitality through a full range of nursing, assisted living and residential or retirement living services at the villages in Dallas, Elizabethtown, Lafayette Hill, Sewickley and Warminster.
• The Masonic Children's Home - Located on the Masonic Village at Elizabethtown campus, 40 school-aged youth are provided with support, guidance and the necessary skills to help them become productive citizens.
• The Pennsylvania Masonic Youth Foundation - The foundation provides education, leadership and character-building activities to youth groups.
• The Masonic Charities Fund - Supports funding operations and equipment purchases for The Masonic Library and Museum of Pennsylvania, as well as the restoration and preservation of the Masonic Temple. As needs present themselves, the fund supports scholarships and disaster relief across the globe, to Masonic or non-Masonic recipients.
For additional information on the Freemasonry, please visit the Q&A section of our site. For details on how you can support our Masonic Charities, please visit the How You Can Help section of our site.